We had so much fun making these homemade ornaments. They were fun from beginning to end - from mixing, to rolling, cutting & decorating. If you are looking for a fun activity with your kiddos, grandkids, friends, spouse or even by yourself this is an activity for you! Only two simple ingredients both of which you can find package free in store & some water and you have yourself some beautiful ornaments and great memories. We decorated ours with a pile of old buttons that we have had laying around for years :)
1 Cup Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
3/4 Cup Water
1. Mix baking soda & cornstarch in a pot and add water. Stir until dissolved & smooth
2. Turn stove on to medium heat and stir mixture constantly. Once the mixture is a thick paste, remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool. Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes (if you leave longer it may get dried out).
3. Dust your counter with cornstarch and roll mixture into a smooth ball. Once the dough is no longer sticky, roll out with a rolling pin to approximately 1/4" thick. Cut out desired shapes and use a reusable straw to cut a hole in the top of the ornament to later tie a string through for hanging.
4. Place on a baking mat on a cookie sheet and place in a 175 degree oven. Bake for 40 minutes & then flip and cook for another 40 minutes. The ornaments should be hard and dry. If they are beginning to brown, remove from the oven immediately. Keep an eye to ensure this does not happen.
5. Thread twine through the top hole and decorate your ornaments with any objects you have around the house (we used old buttons), or leave as a crisp simple white.