Mexican Rice Dish
Check out this Mexican Rice Dish, a perfect accompaniment to barbecued sausages and burgers this Civic Holiday Long Weekend.
2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
3 cups long grain rice
2x 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon canned chili peppers, chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth (more if needed)
1 cup grated Cheddar or cheese of your choice
1. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven and add the onions. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn't burn. Cook over low heat, about 3 minutes.
3. Next, add the tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, turmeric and chili peppers (if using). Stir to combine and let cook, about 2 minutes.
4. Finally, add the chicken broth and stir the mixture together. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 15 minutes.
5. Turn off heat, top with the cheese, replace the lid and let sit until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve with chopped cilantro.